Monday, June 19, 2006

I had a privilege to write an article for the church's bulettin last week. For the past three weeks, our pastor has spoken about what Godly relationship/marriage should be. For some reason, the topic that I wrote about and he spoke about yesterday clicked. He came to me after church service and said that this is truly the Holy Spirit leading the both of us to prepare a message under the same light. So, I thought of posting it on my blog....

While we are waiting....
by Amelia Hendra

Whether we realize it or not, today we live in a time-constrained world. Many claim they are so busy with school or work that they cannot find “the one.” Christians often say that they pray and pray and pray, but they still have not found “the one.”

The media certainly offers lots of ways to connect with other singles. In fact, my research during my graduate school years dealt with how singles find their true love online. I certainly had so much fun watching and observing singles across the world portray themselves in the best light possible hoping to get at least an attention from the opposite sex. I also witnessed how some even mentioned how desperate they are to get married. Sentences like “My prince charming, where are you?” “I’m searching for true love,” or “I’m looking for wife” are very common on those online dating sites. As I began to formulate my hypothesis, one thing really stood out. Most singles care for their “destination.”

It’s amazing how we have the tendency to only care for the end result when we pray. Nothing’s wrong with that. However, God is also interested in the journey, not just the destination. God is never in a rush. With all the questions and uncertainties we have, God cares about purifying, sanctifying, and growing our faith in Him.

Walking by faith is not an easy thing to do. And, God recognizes it. My brothers and sisters, who are still waiting, I encourage you to pray. Pray that our relationships with God grow deeper each and every day. Pray that we are sensitive to His perfect plan in our lives. And most importantly, pray that we evaluate our choices in the light of biblical wisdom. I pray that we are not missing God’s will.

Persevere in Him
Rely on Him
Allow Him to do mighty works in your life
You will sure be blessed!

Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. – Phil 4:6-7

No comments: