Friday, June 24, 2005

5 Rules to success in Grad School!

Okay, I'm kinda bored in my office waiting for my student. So, I tried reorganizing my stuffs on my desk and found a note that says 5 rules to success in Grad School. Wah! It's getting more interesting to me! I remember jotting down this note on our first class in grad school (COMM 801 - Intro to Communication Research) given by Dr. Keel.

For those of you thinking of going to grad school, this might be a beneficial source to kinda get a glimpse of what grad school looks like. For those of you who are already in grad school, this could serve as a friendly reminder. What about those of you who have graduated from grad school? Don't worry! This is useful for you too! It may bring back all those pain memories you had in grad school! Hahaha! Oooops! But, really!! Although it's fun and rewarding to go to grad school, a lot of us including me can testify that there are LOTS and LOTS and LOTS and LOTSA pains that you need to go through! Can I get an AMEN, brothers and sisters? Hahaha!

Ok, here they are!

1. NO CRYING IN GRAD SCHOOL
2. THERE ARE STUPID QUESTIONS (AND STATEMENTS)
3. ASSIGNMENTS MEAN WHAT THEY SAY
4. GRAD FACULTY ARE A USEFUL RESOURCE
5. IN THE END, IT'S ALL YOUR RESPONSIBILITY!

Wow! What a good reality check for me! I almost failed every single rule here.
1. Yes, I have cried during my grad school 'career.' I failed this big time. Haha!
2. Yes, I've asked stupid questions and made stupid (yeah, i mean very stupid) statements.
3. Yes, at times I don't understand what the professor asked for on the assignments (specially during statistics class! Thank God it's all over!!).
4. Yes, sometimes I don't treat the faculty as useful resource, coz I'm afraid of violating the second rule by asking stupid questions.
5. And yes, SOMETIMES (well, okay! MOST OF THE TIMES) I'm not responsible enough as a grad student! My buddy, Jasmine, sure agrees with me on this part. Haha!

So in the end, OH MY GOODNESS!! What am I doing in grad school???

3 comments:

Jasmine said...

for all those who are reading this, we were not supppose to copy these rules down. but ms. amelia here was so happy to be in grad school, so she was taking notes on EVERYTHING! hahaha...

gal, see how far we have come already? one more year!!! and we can leave this all behind! jia you!

Lee Ya said...

Yeah! One more year.. Now you say you wanna go for another 4 years for PHd? Oh mannn! Are you kidding me? Doing this all over again? God, help me!

Jasmine said...

4 years of fun for us wat! tooo short a time already....haha...wonder how many laps can we walk in the office in 4 years?
**)